Tickets for the upcoming exhibition at the Cincinnati Museum Center are available now.
The Science Behind Pixar, which opens on October 22nd, is an interactive exhibition showcasing the use of STEM (science, technology, engineering and math), imagination and curiosity, according to a press release from the museum. Guests can meet Pixar characters like Buzz Lightyear, Dory, Mike and Sulley, Edna Mode and WALL • E face to face.
“The science behind Pixar shows how wonderfully the components of STEM overlap to create quirky worlds and iconic characters that shaped a generation,” said Elizabeth Pierce, President and CEO of the Cincinnati Museum Center (CMC). “With interactive elements that make the complex concepts of digital animation accessible to different age groups, the exhibition will inspire the next generation of imaginary people to bring their own visions to life.”
According to CMC, The Science Behind Pixar enables guests to imagine the STEM concepts behind Pixar’s films through eight interactive areas. With over 50 interactive elements, visitors can see the eight steps of filmmaking – modeling, rigging, surfaces, sets and cameras, animation, simulation, lighting and rendering.
Guests can hear firsthand from members of the studios’ production teams. Through screen-based activities and interactive elements, they can even experience different roles within the film production. Some of the activities in the exhibition include (as described by the CMC):
- In A Bug’s Life, discover how camera placement and angles created an insect perspective
- Create a digital sculpture from an artist’s sketch
- Use lights to solve similar challenges Pixar did when creating underwater scenes in Finding Nemo. to solve
- See how models are given a virtual skeleton that animators can use to pose
- Build a robot that differs from those in WALL • E. was inspired
- Try the stop-motion animation of a jumping lamp and watch a short film about your production
- See and touch scale models of many of Pixar’s popular characters
Tickets for The Science Behind Pixar are $ 19.50 for adults and $ 15.50 for children and seniors. The Cincinnati Museum Center is located at 1301 Western Ave., Queensgate.
This story originally ran in LEO Weekly’s sister publication Citybeat.