Join the Cincinnati Reds as we celebrate the life, career and legacy of Hall of Famer Joe Morgan at Great American Ball Park on Sunday, August 8th. (Reds vs. Pirates, 1:10 p.m.)
The pre-game ceremonies will honor Joe, who died in 2020 at the age of 77, and members of his family will attend the ceremonial first pitch, captain of honor and the handover of the game ball.
Activations on Sunday also include:
• Hall of Famer Johnny Bench and Barry Larkin will attend the ceremonies along with Jeff Idelson, Interim President of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Cooperstown, and Jane Forbes Clark, Chairman of the Board of Directors of the National Baseball Hall of Fame .
• Joe’s official Hall of Fame plaque from the Baseball Hall of Fame will be displayed in front of the Big Red Machine mural in the main gate of Crosley Terrace. Fans can have their picture taken with the plaque during the game.
• A flower arrangement will be placed in honor of Joe at the Joe Morgan statue on Crosley Terrace and fans will have the opportunity to sign a banner with their messages of tribute to Joe.
• A proclamation from Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley declaring Sunday, August 8th, Joe Morgan Day.
• There will be a minute’s silence in honor of Joe and The Mistics will sing the national anthem in # 8 Morgan jerseys.
• Many tributes are scheduled for Joe during the game, including a number 8 in the dirt behind the second base and videos highlighting many of the great moments and accomplishments of Joe’s remarkable career and contributions to the Cincinnati community.
The first 15,000 fans in attendance will receive a # 8 Joe Morgan Cap presented by Delta Air Lines.
A limited number of Morgan Red Lip Glosss, created by Joe’s daughter Lisa Morgan, will be available in the Reds Hall of Fame Shop in the First Star Fan Zone. Fans can also buy the lip gloss online at www.DolledUpCosmetics.com.