Cincinnati, Ohio. (10/16/2021) – Orlando City SC (12-8-9, 45 points) won a 1-0 win against FC Cincinnati (4-17-8, 20 points) at TQL Stadium on Saturday evening and set a new club record in one season with the eighth shutout of the team in the 2021 MLS season.
Júnior Urso scored the eventual win for the Lions in the 13th minute, good for his fourth goal of the season and his eighth in his MLS tenure across all competitions. With the goal conceded, Pedro Gallese scored his sixth shutout of the year as he had to make three saves in the game to keep the Orange and Blue goalless during the night.
A quick turnaround is ahead for the Lions, who will face CF Montréal in the first game of a home game with two games at Exploria on Wednesday 20 October. Tickets are available here or by calling (855) ORL-CITY.
“A great result for us. We needed it, the guys were convinced that we could get these three points. I think the performance on the field is great, they showed their character throughout the game, in a very difficult game against a rival who had nothing to lose. We are very happy about these three points that were necessary at this point in time. “
13 ‘Junior Urso (Ruan) – ORL 1, CIN 0
The Lions took the lead when Junior Urso fed Ruan across the right sideline, which drove him into the box before putting him back on the bear outside of the area. Urso scored for the first time, his shot striking Cincinnati goalkeeper Przemyslaw Tyton on the near post.
- The Lions set a club record in a single season that night with their eighth shutout of the season, surpassing the previous mark of seven in the 2015, 2017 and 2019 campaigns.
- Júnior Urso scored his fourth goal of the season in that game, now with eight in the MLS.
- Pedro Gallese earned his sixth goal of the 2021 season with the shutout on the night.
- With the win against Cincinnati FC, the Lions remain undefeated in their entire history, now with a 3-0-2 record in five games played, with the team’s first win in Queen City on Saturday night.
- Ruan made his second assist of the year in Urso’s first half.
- Uri Rosell made his first return on the field since September 10 in Atlanta, coming on for Andrés Perea in the 83rd minute.
- Daryl Dike made his 30th MLS appearance in the regular season with the start of the night.
- Head coach Oscar Pareja made three changes to his starting line-up at the start of the game, with Emmanuel Mas, Andrés Perea and Chris Mueller all re-advocating for the Lions.
Next game: The Lions are facing a quick turnaround, starting a two-game home game against CF Montréal at the Exploria Stadium on Wednesday October 20th. Kick-off is at 7:30 p.m. ET
ENT – Junior Urso (Ruan) 13 ‘
ENT – Antonio Carlos (yellow card) 66 ‘
ENT – Andrés Perea (yellow card) 74 ‘
GIN – Zico Bailey (yellow card) 80 ‘
GIN – Geoff Cameron (yellow card) 86 ‘
Orlando City SC – GK Pedro Gallese; D Emmanuel Mas, Robin Jansson, Antonio Carlos, Ruan; M Mauricio Pereyra (Rodrigo Schlegel 90th), Andrés Perea (Uri Rosell 83rd), Junior Urso, Chris Mueller (Benji Michel 71st); F Nani © (Silvester van der Water 83 ‘), Daryl Dike (Tesho Akindele 71’)
Unused substitute: GK Mason Stajduhar; D. Kyle Smith; M. Sebastián Méndez; F Alexandre Pato
Cincinnati FC – GK Przemyslaw Tyton; D. Tyler Blackett, Nick Hagglund, Geoff Cameron, Zico Bailey (Joe Gyau 81 ‘); M Kamohelo Mokotjo (Calvin Harris 81 ‘), Haris Medunjanin (Kyle Scott 76’), Álvaro Barreal (Brandon Vázquez 87 ‘), Luciano Acosta ©, Isaac Atanga (Allan Cruz 46’); F burner
Unused substitute: GK Kenneth Vermeer; D Chris Duvall; M. Caleb Stanko; F Quimi Ordonez
Heineken Man of the Game: young bear