FC Cincinnati lost 4: 3 against Chicago Fire FC at TQL Stadium to a heartbreaker with many goals. Luka Stojanovic’s goal three minutes after stoppage time in the second half made the difference.
Robert Beric opened the gate for Chicago with two goals in three minutes in the 14th and 17th minutes. FC Cincinnati reacted for the first time since July 17 at CF Montréal with two goals in the first half.
Luciano Acosta reached the team high for goals in a season with his seventh goal of the year in the 28th minute. Build-up began with Ronald Matarrita, who sent a perfectly weighted cross to Zico Bailey, who crossed the ball across the penalty area to Brandon Vázquez, whose header Acosta hit for a tap. Acosta’s goal was his 100th shot on goal in his career.
Matarrita equalized Vázquez in the 36th minute. Matarrita sent a long ball from the defensive half of the FCC to Vázquez, who played behind Chicago’s defense. Vázquez throttled the pass in full overtime and shot his shot through the legs of Chicago goalkeeper Gabriel Slonina to make the game 2-2.
Alvaro Medran put the guests in the lead in the 71st minute directly after a free kick just outside the 18-meter space.
Tyler Blackett scored the newest goal without a penalty in Cincinnati FC history in the 90 + 1 minute. Matarrita pulled out a cross from the left, which Geoff Cameron flipped over to Blackett, who buried the equalizer. Matarrita became the first player in FCC history with three assists in one game.
The result was not intended as Stojanovic’s long-range shot gave Chicago a 4-3 win.
FC Cincinnati left for a competition at Inter Miami CF on Saturday. Kick-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. ET and the game will be televised on WSTR 64, streamed regionally on fccincinnati.com/stream, no longer available on ESPN +, on Fox Sports AM 1360 on the radio, while streaming audio on iHeartRadio will be available app.
For the latest information on Cincinnati FC, visit the team’s official website at fccincinnati.com or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team’s official mobile app from the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and game notifications.
Information on seating in the club’s state-of-the-art TQL stadium is now available at TQLstadium.com. For more information on depositing and renewing season tickets for 2022, which will be available soon, visit TQLstadium.com or the stadium’s social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @TQLStadium, or call the team’s sales and service representatives at 513-977-5425.
FC CINCINNATI MATCH REPORT
Cincinnati FC versus Chicago Fire FC
Competition: Regular MLS season
Venue: TQL Stadium – Cincinnati, Ohio
Weather: 66 degrees, of course
GIN – Luciano Acosta (Brandon Vázquez, Zico Bailey) 28 ‘, Brandon Vázquez (Ronald Matarrita) 36’, Tyler Blackett (Geoff Cameron, Ronald Matarrita) 90 + 1 ‘
CHI – Robert Beric (without help) 14 ‘, Robert Beric (without help) 17’, Alvaro Medran (without help) 71 ‘, Luka Stojanovic (without help) 90 + 3’
CIN: Przemyslaw Tyton, Zico Bailey (Joseph-Claude Gyau 46 ‘), Geoff Cameron, Tyler Blackett, Edgar Castillo (Álvaro Barreal 53’), Ronald Matarrita, Haris Medunjanin (Kamohelo Mokotjo 62 ‘), Allan Cruz (Kyle Scott 77’ )), Luciano Acosta (c), Brandon Vázquez, Brenner (Calvin Harris 77 ‘)
Unused substitutes: Kenneth Vermeer, Nick Hagglund, Caleb Stanko, Isaac Atanga
Interim Head Coach: Tyrone Marshall
CHI: * Gabriel Slonina, Jhon Espinoza (Boris Sekulic 58 ‘), Miguel Angel Navarro, Johan Kappelhof (Gaston Gimenez 64’), Jonathan Bornstein (c), Ignacio Aliseda, Alvaro Medran (Luka Stojanovic 86 ‘), Mauricio Pineda, Fabian Herbers (Brian Gutierrez 46 ‘), Federico Navarro, Robert Beric (Nnamdi Chinonso Offor 64’)
Unused substitutes: Bobby Shuttleworth, Wyatt Omsberg, Alex Monis, Elliot Collier
Ownership: 41.1 / 58.9
CIN – Zico Bailey (Caution) 30 ‘
CHI – Johan Kappelhof (caution) 45 + 1 ‘
CIN – Joseph-Claude Gyau (caution) 48 ‘
CHI – Federico Navarro (caution) 68 ‘
CHI – Gabriel Slonina (caution) 79 ‘
CIN – Geoff Cameron (Caution) 80 ‘
Asst. Referee: Chantal Boudreau, CJ Morgante
Fourth official: Luis Arroyo
- The three assists by Ronald Matarrita are the most in a game by a Cincinnati player in the club’s history … Matarrita was back in action for the first time since October 2 against the New York Red Bulls … national team.
- Luciano Acosta with his seventh goal of the season is now tied with Allan Cruz (2019) and Brenner (2021) for the most goals in a season by an FCC player … Acosta with his nine assists this season is also the most in a year.
- Acosta’s goal was his 100th shot on goal in his MLS career.
- With his second assist at Acosta’s goal, Zico Bailey scored his first goal or assist in the MLS.
- Tyler Blackett scored his first goal in the MLS … it was the first goal by a defender since Matarrita on September 29 at Toronto FC.
- Blackett’s goal is the youngest open play goal in FCC history … the latest goal came from Emmanuel Ledesma on September 7, 2019 against Toronto FC, but with a penalty (90 + 2).
- FC Cincinnati equalized a two-goal deficit for the second time this season (16 May against Inter Miami CF).
- Geoff Cameron will miss Saturday’s game at Inter Miami CF due to a yellow card.
- 14 ‘- CHICAGO FIRE FC TOR | Mauricio Pineda takes a shot on goal, which Przemyslaw Tyton saves, but the ball falls straight onto Robert Beric on the right goal post for a tap-in score.
- 17 ‘- CHICAGO FIRE FC TOR | Ignacio Aliseda’s shot is intercepted by Geoff Cameron but requires a save from Przemyslaw Tyton, which falls again on Robert Beric, who finishes another tap-in at close range to double the score’s lead.
- 28 ‘- FC CINCINNATI TOR | Ronald Matarrita crosses with a perfectly weighted cross into the right side of the box to Zico Bailey, who shoots the ball back over Brandon Vázquez, who heads the ball over the net to Luciano Acosta, who hits his left foot at the end that buries his seventh goal of the season.
- 36 ‘- FC CINCINNATI TOR | Another great ball from Ronald Matarrita in the FCC defensive half finds Brandon Vázquez at the top of the Chicago 18-yard room bringing the ball down and hitting a one-off shot through the legs of Chicago goalkeeper Slonina to equalize achieve orange and blue.
- 71 ‘- CHICAGO FIRE FC TOR | Alvaro Medran hits directly in front of the 18-meter space with a free kick and puts the guests in the lead.
- 90 + 1 ‘- FC CINCINNATI TOR | Another cross from Ronald Matarrita down the left is turned onto Geoff Cameron in the penalty area, who heads his header towards Tyler Blackett, who goes into the net for the first time.
- 90 + 3 ‘- CHICAGO FIRE FC TOR | Luka Stojanovic took advantage of an evacuation that happened to him and buried a missile from a distance past Przemyslaw Tyton.
Cincinnati FC interim head coach Tyrone Marshall
“Originally we wanted to be a little more offensive, so we went with two strikers tonight. As you can see, I thought we did it, we scored more goals at home. We had some great opportunities early in the game. Defensively, I thought we’d missed some soft goals. I think if we can move forward we have to play the 90 minute game. I think if we did that it would be a different situation. We didn’t manage to finish the game mentally. “
On the goal until deep into stoppage time
“This moment is a great example of what Cincinnati has been like all season; we’re just a little short. We have to be able to handle these moments better in order to end the game. “
“I think Brandon is a big goal. If you look at his performance in the workouts, he’s worked his way off, he’s fine, and we just had to get a big body in the box. Our message to him tonight was to just enjoy the moment, not feel restricted, just score goals; and he did that today. “
“I don’t want to blame Tyton or anything tonight; I think he saved us a few games early. I think he works hard, it’s unfortunate that some of the goals fell tonight but that’s the story of a goalkeeper. I think Tyton has done very well so far and kept us in the games. “
Cincinnati FC defender Ronald Matarrita
Translated from Spanish
After the last goal
“It’s so hard, it’s so hard to make this happen. We worked so hard to bring the 3-3 back. Then for the other team to find it that easy. In the last few minutes you have to give everything you can. You can’t lose your head You need to keep working as hard as possible. And it’s so easy for the other team to achieve such a goal. It just hurts so much. “
“It’s so difficult because we play so well for a long part of the game and then there are moments and you can see these simple goals but we just have to deal with it, we have to deal with it, we have to move on. We have to face the fact that sometimes players don’t give 100 percent. We have to fix this and we have to move on. It’s so frustrating because it feels like we have to score a goal to get our heads into the game. We have to start with our heads in the game. We have the players, we just lack the mentality. It’s really hard to hide that, we just have to have the mentality and get there because it’s not there right now. “
In his busy season with Costa Rica and FC Cincinnati
“Yes, you know, I will always give 100 percent, regardless of whether I am here or whether I am there. Very happy with my individual performance tonight. I was happy to do everything I could for the team. Sometimes I make mistakes, but I’ll always give 100 percent for this team and that’s the least I can do for these fans who just come out and support us all the time. I’m on the pitch for Cincinnati. “
Cincinnati FC striker Brandon Vázquez
“Disappointed, I thought we played great, we fought until the last minute, I felt we deserved it”
So it hurts to see the results for what they were. Their first two goals were quick and unexpected so it was frustrating but we had time and came back quickly. That shows the character this team has, and that’s massive. We just have to do that in every single game. “
“Yeah, it’s been a long season. I was just waiting patiently for my time. I was so close
Goal and does not hit the net and today it hits at night. I hope I can do it again on Saturday. “