PARKERSBURG, W. Va. – – Sophomore Alex Brill (Amherst, Ohio) homered twice, and Ohio Dominican baseball went for 19 runs during Friday afternoon’s double header in the Ohio Valley.
The Panthers passed the Fighting Scots in the first game and hit three long balls on the way to a 12-4 win. Ohio Valley took an early lead in the second game and held an 8-7 decision.
With the split, ODU rises to 16-8 overall and 8-8 in the Greater Midwest.
BOX SCORE NOTES
- Brill went 5-9 that day, three of his hits for additional bases. The runner-up came in once in each game and drove in seven runs over 16 innings.
- Sophomore David Silva (Tontogany, Ohio) and graduate senior Roger Danison (Carroll, Ohio) Both recorded a pair of doubles, with Silva scoring a 4v8 attempt on the plate.
- Silva and graduate senior Jace Komminsk (Westerville, Ohio) A tie for the team with five races each in the afternoon.
- Komminsk and Junior Zac Wilson (Hamilton, Ohio) Brill joined in for a deep dive into the opener.
- student in the first year Scott Rouse (Hinckley, Ohio) threw a full game in the opener, his third of the season, and improved to a team best 4-2 this spring.
- The panthers threw four different arms on Friday, all of which were newbies.
PLAY A SUMMARY
- ODU had a 12-6 advantage in the hit column during the series opening game, and six of the ODU hits went for additional bases.
- The Panthers jumped on the Scots early (5-24, 3-19 G-MAC) and scored 10 runs in the first four innings to lead 10-1.
- ODU had two home runs over the four-inning sprint, including a Wilson Grand Slam in the top third. Komminsk also started a homer in the top of the first.
- After allowing a solo home run at the end of fourth place, Rouse was knocked out 12 consecutive batters, reminiscent of his one-hitter against Cedarville earlier this month.
- Rouse beat the team in the seventh and K’d nine batters in the game and set a new season high.
- ODU and OVU combined for five runs in the ninth frame. After Silva took a start-up walk, Brill met up to allow the Panthers 12 runs in the game.
- In the Fighting Scots final inning rally, OVU scored three hits out of two, but Rouse hit the final blow of the game to secure the 12-4 win for ODU.
GAME TWO SUMMARY
- For the second time in four games, ODU was plagued by a large deficit in the first inning as OVU scored five runs in their first Game Two record appearance.
- Redshirt newbie Tyler Sullivan (Cincinnati, Ohio) returned to his early season form, throwing three scoreless innings for relief. Sullivan only took one hit and knocked out four batters.
- The Panthers took advantage of Sullivan’s power and hit four runs in the first three frames to close their deficit to 5-4.
- Silva and Brill both competed in doubles as newcomers Lane Marshall (Wooster, Ohio), who went 2-on-3 in the night cap, released an RBI single in the second inning.
- Ohio Valley finished the game with just five hits but found opportunities to score, which was demonstrated in the sixth inning, where the Scots scored three times without hits.
- After four runs in the last frame, ODU received a 1: 3 home run from Brill, which scored 8: 7.
- Danison followed in a single space to the right and was able to move to goal position during the tie run but was stranded on the second base.
- Ohio Dominican and Ohio Valley are expected to double-header their four-game set on Saturday, April 17th at 1:00 p.m. CET.
Contact: Tyler Jester