05/25/2021 | TBA
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati baseball team ended the regular season with a streak from Tulane after a 13:12 win in action at the American Athletic Conference at UC Baseball Stadium on Sunday.
Cincinnati (29-24, 18-14 AAC) had a 13-7 lead in the ninth inning and Tulane (28-22, 17-10 AAC) scored six runs with two outs before Evan Kemp came out of the bullpen to make the final save the game for his first career.
After Jake Hansen scored a pop-up in a lazy area for the second time off-frame, Tulane took two consecutive walks to load the bases. Jacob LaPrairie cleared the bases with a double to the right and the lead was reduced to 13-10. Chase Engelhard was up next, hitting his eighth home run of the year to leave the field and the scoreboard was 13-12. The Bearcats made a pitching change and Kemp fanned out the lone batsman he faced to seal the win.
The Bearcats crossed in ninth place, took a 1-0 lead in the first and didn’t look back. They scored three in the third and one in the fifth before breaking out for six runs in the sixth.
UC scored five runs in the frame before an out was recorded. Jake Murray, Cole Harting, Jace Mercer, Joey Bellini, and Eric Santiago were on the base with consecutive singles. Murray hit Mercer, Harting on Bellini and Mercer came home with a throw when Bellini stole second place. A brace against the wall on Paul Komistek’s right was scored by Santiago and Bellini. Komistek later hit an obstacle and UC led 11-4.
Bellini added an RBI double in the seventh, which Harting scored, and Josh Hegemann scored the final run for UC with a double-play ball in the eighth.
• UC honored the 1961 and 1971 baseball teams after the second inning of Saturday’s game.
• Eric Santiago took the hill with a hit in the ninth inning and went four fields with Tulane’s minder. Santiago has now played every field position during his five-year career at UC.
• Harting, Merritt and Santiago recorded three hits each, with Merritt blowing up two doubles and four RBIs.
• Jacob Meyer appeared in his seventh year for the second time this season and came into play with two runners and no outs. He loaded the bases on a single until the first blow he faced, but induced a strike, flight and groundout to end the threat.
• Jalen Wade (4-1) took the win, went six innings and knocked out the Green Wave for four. He hit two, walked four, and gave up four runs with seven hits.
• Harting hit .556, hitting 1,167 for the week, scoring 10 hits and scoring eight runs with three doubles, two home runs, a triple and a pair of stolen bases.
• Ryan Nicholson hit .538 in three games with seven hits, five RBIs, four runs scored and a home run.
• Komistek and Santiago both had two doubles, a home run and seven hits.
• Merritt had seven RBIs, while Komistek and Mercer had six each.
The Bearcats ranked number 4 in next week’s AAC tournament and will take on the UCF number 5 on Tuesday at 9 a.m. ET in Clearwater, Florida. The teams will meet at the BayCare Ballpark for an ESPN + televised game with live stats on BearcatStats.com.
TUESDAY, MAY 25 | ESPN +
Game 1: No. 5 UCF versus No. 4 Cincinnati | 9 p.m. ET
Game 2: No. 8 Memphis vs. No. 1 East Carolina | 47 minutes after Game 1
Game 3: No. 7 Houston versus No. 2 Tulane | 4 p.m. ET
Game 4: No. 6 South Florida versus No. 3 Wichita State | 47 minutes after game 2
visit AAC Baseball Championship Central for more informations.
FOLLOW THE BEARCATS
For the latest information on Cincinnati Baseball, visit GoBEARCATS.com. For the latest updates, follow UC Baseball (@GoBearcatsBase) and Coach Googins (@CoachGoogs) on Twitter. You can also find the Bearcats on Instagram and Facebook.